Sunday, September 17, 2006

Letters to Mr. Advani – Number 1

The next election is round of elections in UP is round the corner, and a
traditional supporter of the BJP, I can just remember the lines – “hoping for
the best , but expecting the worst, are you gonna drop the bomb now”.

As a hopeless optimist in me looks at the traditional management tools for help
and answers, so I look the most common tool SWOT for an answer, which I must
admit did not give me very encouraging answers. But anyway here the SWOT for you
to read
Strength
1) Large and committed RSS organization

Weakness
1) Poor Discipline with the growth in the numbers, the workers are
not as discipline as that of RSS
2) Lack of leadership in the center
3) Regional infighting
4) Seen as a party prone to the same appeasement politics of Left /
Congress
5) No leader has been known for delivering good governance
6) Poor record of past BJP state government

Opportunities
1) Provide thought leadership on how to make UP and investment
destination
2) Focus on Governance
3) Focus on Governance
4) Focus on Governance

Threats
1) Congress may take away the non Mulayam/ Mayawati vote bank with
the disillusionment of BJP setting in
2) Caste based politics will still remain in UP
3) Low involvement of RSS in social development


It seems too tough that the party with the difference was so quick to loose
the difference and it particularly saddening for supporters like me.

So what should be done? I think, the BJP should learn its lessons rather
quickly, some of the quick ones that come to my mind:

1) The collation politics may be a reality that we cannot avoid it, given the
strong presence of regional parties – But in selecting the partners is a MUST
2) It should also be careful of the people who join the party quitting other
parties to join BJP, stop the open arms policy
3) Enforce discipline in cadre
4) Nothing hurts more than hitting the headlines for yet another scam. I think,
it is cost of getting people (no leaders) who do not share vision (typically
they have no vision)
5) Do NOT deviate from the principles
6) Have pragmatism for the new global economy and make effort to educate other
members of the Sangh Parivar, Xenophobia will only take country backwards
7) Have a Vision for UP, if you want to win

Though, I do not doubt the dedication of Mr. Rajnath Singh, I certainly his
charisma, I think, the BJP now is at cross roads where it cannot let itself be
written down. I think both Avaniji and Vajyapeeji need to now make some hard
decisions, let me them promote the must touted Gen Next. The sad events have
snatched one Laxman. But in my view Mr. Jaitely is certainly a good option!

I hope and pray that BJP rises from the ashes as it is the only hope of making
India a great united, strong and united nation.

No comments: